Monday, August 29, 2011

Always to My Surprise

"Doj?", she asks standing by the garage door. I open it and stand in the entry way, half expecting her to head toward the glass recycling so she can explore those bottles as potential throwing materials. Surprisingly, she heads straight to the Honda and tries lifting the back door handle. "You want to go in the car?" I open the door and she pats the back seat repeatedly. "Upupupupup?" When she really wants something, it's one word repeated in quick succession. But, this is totally bizarro! Wanting to get IN the car? I lift her up on the seat and watch, stunned, as she crawls into her car seat. Does she want to go somewhere? Did she forget something in there? Does she want to dig for the long lost cheerios that have creeped beneath the buckle holes? None of the above. She makes herself comfortable with her phone at ear. "Ho? Ooze dis. Okay. Yeah? Okay. Soooon, bye".

I guessed we could be there for a little while, so I give cousin Cim a call to catch up. Sof and I spend the next fifteen minutes enjoying our separate conversations. When Cim and I hang up, she finally accepts my offer to go back in the house.

I so love the surprises she gives me!

No comments:

Post a Comment