Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Flying Solo with Toddler


I've flown alone with my daughter, Sofie, now about a dozen times and it's been a steep learning curve. I’m going to break down all my tricks in order, from buying your ticket to getting off the plane.

I. BEFORE YOU GO

Buying your ticket

Consider a flight time when there’s likely to be plenty of extra seating and when your baby is usually sleeping.

If you choose your seat assignment, the aisle is your best bet. You’ll be getting out at least twice to walk your toddler up and down the aisles OR use the lavatory to perform the world's most amazing feat of an airplane diaper change.

Luggage to bring: One backpack for carry-on, one medium sized bag to check, and small stroller.

Backpack is best as a carry-on to remain hands-free.

For the bag you’re checking, you should be able to easily maneuver it with one hand.  You’re other hand is for the stroller.

Your stroller: the more compact, the better. You want it to be light and fold up in a half second when you get to security.  

A side note about your carseat!  If you have a rental car, rent a carseat with it!  Avoid lugging your own carseat.

On my first flight alone with Sof, I suffered from my overconfidence.  I had a baby in a carrier on my front, her terribly heavy carseat on my back, and TWO rolling bags.  I know I was a sad site, as 3-4 people came offering help. I finally swallowed my pride and accepted before I collapsed.

Stuff to stuff in your backpack

a. 3-4 toddler busy activities.

b. 2-4 favorite snacks.

c. Water bottle you both can share (with suction cap)

d. Enough diapers and wipes for the day

II. AT THE AIRPORT

Checking in, Security and Getting to your gate

You’re likely to be doing a lot of waiting in lines. This requires you to be still or move very slowly. Waiting. And waiting. This goes against every natural instinct in a toddler.  If keeping them in the stroller doesn't work, hold them or give them a toy or snack they can't refuse.

At security, try stacking your bins.  It's much easier to move one tall bunch of tubs down the metal table to the conveyor belt than it is to shove 4 in a row + backpack + stroller.

Your stroller will hopefully be the LAST thing to go on the belt. You don't need a runaway in the security line. Let her out and tell her to stay close for the half second it takes you to fold up your stroller. Pick her up, wait for TSA to nod you through the metal detector, and congratulate yourself on mastering security with a toddler.

Find Your Gate  
Then, If you have at least half hour before boarding -
Find TODDLER HEAVEN

This is where a lot of little tikes end up, so your kid will have some social and tumbling time to get some energy out before getting on the plane.

No toddler heaven? Walk around to some stores and try to keep your tike from breaking stuff. The Delta terminal at JFK didn't have a play area, but they DID have a toy store, so we spent at least an hour in there.

At the Gate

No matter if you got an aisle seat or not, be SURE to check with the agent at the gate 20 minutes before boarding to see if there are any open rows, or two open seats you can take over.  There usually are!

III. ON THE PLANE - the last STEP

Talk to baby about "loud noise", make a game

During take off, just before speeding down the runway, I tell her we’re about to go really fast in the airplane and it will make a loud noise.  Just as the engine is about to roar, I say “ready, set, go!” and she starts squealing in delight. As you come up into the air, you can point out the things you see on the ground.

Ear Plugging Prevention

Just after take off and as your descending, offer her a snack and something to drink.  The frequent swallowing should assuage any discomfort of plugged-up ears.

Dealing with tantrums

By far the most traumatic experience for me. I try to stay calm.  If you start becoming anxious, your tot will sense that and it will be a greater challenge to calm her down.  

Bring some extra ear plugs to offer the other peeps in your aisle.  Put some in yourself.  

Try to stay light-hearted and grateful.  I remind myself that my toddler is only crying and it will pass. At least she’s not puking.

If you’re not a parent, and are on the plane with a screaming baby, please know that the parents are suffering much more than you as they’re doing everything possible to calm their child.  Also, give thanks that the baby is not puking or puking on YOU.

Once you make it off the plane to your destination, go ahead and conquer the universe.  That would be peanuts compared to what you just did.

With these tips on buying your ticket, what luggage to bring, being in the airport and on the plane, I hope I was able to impart some wisdom on keeping you and your tot a tad happier as you travel.





No comments:

Post a Comment